Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 15:24:13 +0200

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:

> On Thu, May 28 2020, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> This seems like a reasonable solution to me. Alternatively perhaps we
>>> just need to sell C-x C-f as "open a file or directory" rather than
>>> "find a file"?
>>
>> A directory *is* a file.
>
> And a smart phone is a computer, but that's not how most people think about
> it.
> :-)

And Dired is "directory editor", wich suggest a directory is a  file,
but even I use to speak of dired (and emacs) as a file manager, and
other file managers are not called directory editors, despite of file
managing being directories editing. Just another example of how we
humnas build abstractions on top of each other to simplify our
reasoning. Those abstractions then get their own life.