Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: T.V Raman
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 09:46:51 -0700

emacs kbd commands -- and other well-designed ergonomic systems, eg
vi's h,j,k,l for navigation are better thought of as muscle
memory. The mnemonics are useful to learn, yes, but given the weird
layout of the qwerty keyboard,  rigidly sticking to mnemonics often
leads to non-ergonomic keybindings.

So it's always a choice --- does one wish to create a system that is
"easy to learn" but painful to use, or one that "a little harder to
learn" with the benefit of being extremely efficient in the
long-run. I still think VI's nav keys are one of the best choices I've
seen from an ergonomics point of view, but completely "unintuitive"
for whatever "intuitive" means.

--
Id: kg:/m/0285kf1

--