Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: excalamus
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 18:12:47 +0200 (CEST)

May 28, 2020, 12:04 by raman@google.com:

> "Philip K." <philip@warpmail.net> writes:
>

> It's no more or no less intuitive than alt-F4 in "other platforms" that
> people often label intuitive without thinking about it.
>
> And for the record, the insert/replace key is a carry-over from
> DOS word-processors of the early 80's.
>
>> excalamus--- via "Emacs development discussions."
>>
> <emacs-devel@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> What does C-g mean? Why the sequence C-g specifically? I think the
>>> disconnect may be that C-g appears outwardly meaningless.
>>>

>> I always assumed it was because C-g, when inserted literally had the
>> same value as does the ASCII bell (BEL, or '\a' in C) character. When
>> you open the "ascii" man-page on G and BEL even appear on the same
>> line. So in some sense it's like C-m/C-i, that do the same as
>> return/tab.
>>
>> But I guess that's neither consistent, relavant or intuitive.

These are excellent observations (and I always love the history I learn through
being an Emacs user).  Arguably, 'C-g' is one of the most important
keybindings/functions in Emacs.  It's unfortunate that there's not a clear
winner for a mnemonic.  "Get out" or "Get away" is the best I can come up with
for English.  I tried translating the following possible interpretations to
other languages (German, French, Spanish) and "giro" ("turn" in Spanish,
apparently) was the 'best'.

cancel
escape
abort