Re: Replacing all C code????

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Replacing all C code????
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2020 17:19:40 -0500

  > > If execution of the other language is slower, the slowdown could make
  > > Emacs unusable on old machines.  Old machines such as the T200 and
  > > T400 are very important for our freedom since we can run them with
  > > Libreboot.  We must not downgrade support for them.

  > My point is to divde and conquer the problem by taking advntage of the
  > parallelism in the newer cpu, gpu, tpu.

The old machines that support our freedom do not have the newer
processors you are thinking about using.  They may not have a gpu at
all.  Hardly any of them have a tpu.  Yet they are the machines that
we need for freedom.

All else being equal, faster operation on newer hardware is good.
But if the byproduct is slower operation on the old, freedom-respecting
machines, we will have to say no to it.  So please plan to make sure
that we don't suffer a slowdown on the older machines we need to use.

--
Dr Richard Stallman