Re: Using incremental parsing in Emacs

From: HaiJun Zhang
Subject: Re: Using incremental parsing in Emacs
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2020 11:59:05 +0800

I see it also supports multi-language Documents.

在 2020年1月3日 +0800 PM6:05,Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,写道:
Would someone like to try to figure out how we could use the
incremental parsing technology in Emacs for making our
programming-language support more accurate and efficient? One package
that implements this technology is tree-sitter:

https://tree-sitter.github.io/tree-sitter/

AFAIU, these capabilities could be used as an alternative to
regexp- and syntax-pps-based font-lock, better code folding,
completion, refactoring, and other similar features; in general, any
feature which would benefit from having a parse tree for the source
code in a buffer.

To be able to use such libraries, we need to figure out how to
integrate them into the core, what kind of interfaces would be needed
for that, and what kind of infrastructure we would need for basing
Lisp features on those libraries. Posting practical ideas for design
of all that would be a good first step in this promising direction.
Bonus points for providing code patches that demonstrate the
implementation of these ideas.

TIA