Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?

From: Cecilio Pardo
Subject: Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2019 23:28:38 +0100

>   > I think if you install a certificate from someone who has written an
>   > iPad which is not in the appstore, you can install it, on your own risk.
>   > I think there is a app called popcorn which is for streaming videos and
>   > which is not available  in the app shop, but can installed via the webpage
>   > of the developer. So may this is the way Emacs could go.
>
> The precise rules of this is a very important question for me; it
> affects what I need to say in my talks about the iMonsters.  So I
> would be very grateful if people could find the facts about this
> in the next 3 days.

To install any application on your own device, you need to sign it with
a "Developer certificate".

To get that, you need to be a member of the "Apple Developer
Program".

You can be a paying member, in which case your certificate
lasts for one year.

You can also be a member for free (you still need to register and accept
an agreement). In this case, your certificates will last for one
week. So, you need to resign and reinstall the application every week,
as it stops working when the certificate expires.

To sign the application, you can build it from source, or use some tool to
sign the binary with your certificates.

Maybe it is important to note that apple can deny membership to
anyone they choose, and of course change any of the conditions.

The agreement is available here:

https://developer.apple.com/programs/terms/apple_developer_agreement.pdf

--
Cecilio Pardo