Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2019 18:21:52 -0500

  > I have used Termux (only Android) before, it's open source and
  > free (as in "gratis") as far as I know.

We judge a program morally based on whether it is free (libre)
software.  That's what makes it just, rather than unjust.
See https://gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-even-more-important.html.

Whether a user paid to get a copy is another question, which we don't
consider morally crucial.

Whether it is "open source" is also a question that isn't part of our
concerns, because that's not the same thing as free software.

See https://gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.

Termius on iOS is surely not libre.  On other platforms it could be.

However, in this case we have no need to judge Termux or Termius.  The
crucial point about Termios -- if I understand right what you've said

  > Looks like a SSH/Telnet client and it requires other computer to work
  > (localhost or "in the cloud" system).

-- is that if you run Emacs through it, Emacs will be running on some
other computer, not on the iBad, and only _displaying_ via Termius.

It may be easy to make Emacs support displaying via Termius.

--
Dr Richard Stallman