Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?

From: Elias Mårtenson
Subject: Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2019 12:05:19 +0800

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 at 07:24, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

  > Looks like a SSH/Telnet client and it requires other computer to work
  > (localhost or "in the cloud" system).

-- is that if you run Emacs through it, Emacs will be running on some
other computer, not on the iBad, and only _displaying_ via Termius.

It may be easy to make Emacs support displaying via Termius.

I don't know about that tool, but it certainly is possible to run Emacs on an Iphone or Ipad using ish. The project is GPL:

https://github.com/tbodt/ish

I'm not an Apple user myself, and I just looked at the project out of fascination at the lengths people are willing to do to get this kind of stuff to work (instead of just getting an open device).

It implements a virtual machine that allows you to run Linux binaries, and most of the GNU system is running on it (it's Alpine Linux by default).

Of course, it's not available on the Apple Store at the moment (and it's not clear if it ever will) so you have to compile the code yourself if you want to use it.

Regards,
Elias