Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 55ec674: * lisp/multifile.el: New file, extract

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 55ec674: * lisp/multifile.el: New file, extracted from etags.el
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 02:23:30 +0300

On 03.01.2019 1:11, Juri Linkov wrote:

That's the problem.  Most of the time there is no need to complete
on directory names, only on file names, preferably listed alphabetically.

So type the file name (or a part of it)? I'm not seeing the problem, sorry. But your particular preference here might be solved with implementing a new completion style. Please go ahead, if you like.

project-occur could operate only on visited project files
(but I doubt if this is useful).  project-rgrep is much more needed
to operate like rgrep, but without asking for file names and root directory.

We already have project-find-regexp. Why bother?

Why not?  Different users have different preferences.

*shrug*, if you insist. project-grep can work. Even though project-find-regexp is also "project grep", in a sense.

Actually I think the existing names are already good enough: "multifile"
for the package that supports multifile operations,

It's not the only package that "supports multifile operations". xref does
it as well (and arguably better), and also occur and grep, as
some examples.

I don't mind moving the existing multi-occur and other multi- commands
to multifile.el.

WHYYY

multifile.el just implements a particular UI.

multi-occur is different from occur in a totally other way.

Going by your suggestion, we'd cram half of Emacs into that one file.

and "project" for UI that operates on project files.

project is not a UI, it uses one of the other packages for UIs.

I meant that project is at a higher level than multifile.

Is "fetching data" a higher level than "displaying data"? I'm not sure.

Anyway, project.el is about projects, their files, and so on. You were probably referring to interactive commands, but those can live anywhere.

Whereas multifile.el is about iterating through a list of files in a loop with a particular bare-bones UI and a set of commands that should be familiar to older Emacs users.