Re: RFC: Adding BBDB to Emacs core

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: RFC: Adding BBDB to Emacs core
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 21:50:02 -0400

> It's a tradeoff, though, as the runtime logic makes the code harder to
> maintain and (particularly) to test, and at some point it becomes more
> trouble than it's worth. This is why Gnus dropped support for Emacs
> 22 a couple of years ago. Even if ELPA packages should work on current and
> previous Emacs versions, today I would think that they shouldn't have to
> worry about porting to Emacs 23 or earlier, and that a package's maintainer
> can determine whether the cutoff is 22, 23, or even 24.

Of course, but that doesn't mean there needs to be several different
supported versions of the package.  It just means you drop support for
old versions, as is the case in all packages.  Nothing new here: no need
for different branches in elpa.git to go along with branches in
emacs.git just because of that.

        Stefan