Re: RFC: Adding BBDB to Emacs core

From: Radon Rosborough
Subject: Re: RFC: Adding BBDB to Emacs core
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 13:16:46 -0700

> They're so close to each other that rather than replacing them, they
> need to be merged or modularized so that they build on top of each
> other.

If you have suggestions on how that could be accomplished, and what
the concrete advantages would be, I would be very glad to hear them. I
will, of course, be happy to provide any information about straight.el
that would be helpful to the discussion.

> package.el is not nearly as constraining as people tend to think.

I will note that even if I did not perceive any technical reasons why
package.el couldn't be easily extended to support the features of
straight.el, the inertia generated by its membership in Emacs core
would still have been more than enough to convince me to start a new
project instead.