Re: RFC: Adding BBDB to Emacs core

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: RFC: Adding BBDB to Emacs core
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 14:36:06 -0400

Before deciding on this, I think we'd need a clear picture of the ways
in which BBDB is needed/used by EUDC.

I see you saying things like "EUDC requiring something not in the tree",
but I don't see anything in EUDC that really requires BBDB, instead
I just see glue code that lets you use BBDB when it's available, just
like there's code that lets you use LDAP when it's available (but
there's clearly no corresponding push to try and add LDAP directly into
Emacs).

Could you give us a clear description of how BBDB is used by EUDC?
I'm thinking of a list of BBDB functions/variables that are used by
EUDC, along with a description of what they are used for (not what they
do themselves, but what EUDC uses them for).

Also good would be to describe concrete ways in which having BBDB in
Emacs itself would improve the user's experience (presumably for users
which don't already use BBDB).

        Stefan