Re: RFC: Adding BBDB to Emacs core

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: RFC: Adding BBDB to Emacs core
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 17:21:41 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Assuming (2) achieves all that, from the core maintainer's perspective,
>>> what's the difference?  The downside is they have two repos to deal
>>> with, and the interactions between the two to always consider (e.g., do
>>> we branch all of ELPA to match Emacs branches (probably not), or write
>>> all ELPA packages to work on any Emacs branch (probably), etc.).
>> There is actually a problem here with the way the ELPA is structured,
>> since it already uses branches for (some) packages. This is not going to
>> marry easily with the use of branches for something else.
>
> Rather than a problem I see it as a defining aspect of whether a package
> should be in elpa.git or in emacs.git, since the whole point of having
> "unbundled packages" is so that their release schedule is not tied to
> that of Emacs.

Not sure I understand.

If I have a package on master in ELPA, and I want to main one version
for Emacs-26 and another for Emacs-27, how do I do this? The obvious
solution is to put in a branch. But now I have branched all the other
packages to.

For externals, we can do this, although we can't call it "emacs-26" or
"emacs-27" because someone else will have that branch.

Phil