Re: May I publish a Windows Installer for GNU Emacs?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: May I publish a Windows Installer for GNU Emacs?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:49:19 +0900

    David> Copyright law allows you making personal copies and
    David> distributing to a computer on which you'd like to use it.

I think you do not know the relevant definition of "distribution", and
in any case AFAIK copyright law allows only _backup_ copies, as sort
of a "fair use" exception (in the US).

    David> I can redistribute but don't need to heed that I need to
    David> include the source code?  Hardly.

That is not one of the options that the GPL offers.  Your claim is
equivalent to understanding "you can go to the supermarket and get an
apple" as meaning "without paying".  Be serious.

    David> But one should avoid stating misleading things.

You have amply proved that there is no way to avoid misunderstanding
if the reader wilfully misunderstands.  Either we assume a reasonable,
honest reader, or we are forced to present the exact license terms.