Re: May I publish a Windows Installer for GNU Emacs?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: May I publish a Windows Installer for GNU Emacs?
Date: 12 Sep 2003 22:00:06 +0100

Peter Lee <address@hidden> writes:

>     Benjamin> Don't know how you are setting the variable on W9x/Me,
>     Benjamin> but on NT/W2K/XP, you don't needs a reboot for this.  I
>     Benjamin> think you need to send a notication message so that the
>     Benjamin> Windows Explorer picks up the new variable, but that's
>     Benjamin> all.
>

> Windows Explorer doesn't need it...

I apologise if you've tried this and verified it to be the case, but
I would have expected a notification message to be required, since
Emacs is started as a subprocess of explorer.exe, and inherits its
environment. Perhaps you are thinking of the case where a user
manually changes the environment using the control panel applet, in
which case, the applet will take care of sending this notification
message.