Re: May I publish a Windows Installer for GNU Emacs?

From: Frank Schmitt
Subject: Re: May I publish a Windows Installer for GNU Emacs?
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:47:43 +0200

Benjamin Riefenstahl <address@hidden> writes:

> Frank Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:
>> then the registry entries which would normally be set by running
>> addpm.exe are added
>
> AFAIK, these are not necessary any more, so if I were you, I wouldn't
> do that.

Well, if it isn't necessary anymore, why is it done when installing via
make install?

>> If $HOME has been set by the installer, the user is now prompted for
>> a reboot and installation is finished.
>
> Don't know how you are setting the variable on W9x/Me, but on
> NT/W2K/XP, you don't needs a reboot for this.  I think you need to
> send a notication message so that the Windows Explorer picks up the
> new variable, but that's all.

I'm adding the environment variables und NT systems by adding a key to
the registry under HKCU/Environment and on 9x systems by modifying
autoexec.bat. In both cases you have to restart (ok, on NT systems, it's
enough to log out and log in again) to make changes have effect. Their
might be other solution, but I don't know about them.

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough