Re: [emacs-bidi] Suboptimal display-reordering in minibuffer

From: Martin J. Dürst
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Suboptimal display-reordering in minibuffer
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:26:56 +0900

Hello everybody,

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 03:23:34 +0300
From: Amit Aronovitch<address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden

(you should be able to do that to properly show bidi text e.g.  in
w3 mode).

Emacs does not yet handle HTML, XML, and other similar markup formats
with bidi text.  Before we add such support, we need to design it.
UAX#9 is of no help here; we need to come up with our own solution,
preferably one that is based on existing Emacs features.  This is a
significant job, so I put it aside for now.

I think I have mentioned this before, but we have been doing some work in the area of rendering HTML/XML source with bidi text. Please see http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/2008/pub/IUC32-bidi/ and the links from there. (it still has quite a few problems, mostly related to editing Web pages and JavaScript,...)

It also looks like we might get around to work on transposing our solutions to Emacs this year. It's too early to promise anything, but we'll try our best. And we will certainly be glad to get help and advice from this list.

Btw, I think we should support bidirectional text in comments and
strings in program sources _before_ we support bidirectional HTML.
After all, Emacs is a programmer's editor.  The current plain-text
UAX#9 approach does not work well with, say, C sources that use
bidirectional text in strings and comments.

The problem of properly (or let's say decently or reasonably) displaying (e.g. C) source code with bidi characters is in my estimation quite a bit simpler than the problem for HTML or XML. So we might do it for HTML/XML first and then cut down the solution to programming languages, or the other way round.

Regards,    Martin.

#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:address@hidden