Re: [emacs-bidi] Suboptimal display-reordering in minibuffer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Suboptimal display-reordering in minibuffer
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 22:13:17 +0300

> From: Larry Denenberg <address@hidden>
> cc: Larry Denenberg <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 22:14:18 -0400
>
> bidi-paragraph-direction is purely an Emacs thing, right?  It's not
> in the Unicode bidi standard.

bidi-paragraph-direction is one of the Emacs-specific aspects of what
UAX#9 calls ``higher protocols'' for determining the base direction of
paragraphs.

> Is it absolute?  That is, can it be overridden by LRM or LRO
> characters?

No, not currently.  The code that determines base paragraph direction
looks at the value of bidi-paragraph-direction, and if that's non-nil,
it doesn't bother looking for the first strong directional character
in the paragraph.

But this is Emacs: Lisp code that wants to override the default value
of bidi-paragraph-direction can always let-bind it to any value it
wants, including nil.  Then LRM etc. will have their normal effect.

> Can you give me an example of any message in an English Emacs that
> should be RTL?

I would need to wade through the many uses of `message' to see if
there are any.  In general, any echo-area message that shows just
portions of buffer text (as opposed to a message generated by Emacs to
convey some information to the user) might need RTL paragraphs if the
text comes from a buffer written in some bidirectional script.  But I
don't know off the top of my head which features use that, although
I'm pretty much sure there are such features.

> >Btw, there's something I overlooked before: why exactly is ^ב
> >considered a strong R2L character?  Could you please go to it in the "
> >*Echo Area 0/1*" buffer, type "C-u C-x =", and show what Emacs tells
> >about that character?
>
> First of all, I don't think your procedure works.  You can make the
> message appear, and with care you can get a cursor on top of it, but
> typing C-u (or most anything else) changes the buffer contents---it's
> not called the Echo Area for nothing!  To get your hands on the
> character you'd have to write a function that grabs the contents of the
> buffer and bind it to a key, or in some other way avoid echoing.

See my other message for how I would do that.

> But there's no point in trying.  The buffer can't possibly contain an
> actual ^ב.  No buffer can.  Buffers and strings can contain only those
> characters encodable in 22 bits.  If your input facilities permit, you
> can prove this by typing ^Q ^ב; Emacs refuses to insert such a character
> (Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p, 67110353).

^ב is just another Emacs display feature, like ^C.  Emacs has special
code in its display engine to produce such two-character combinations
to display an otherwise unprintable character as a string that any
terminal will show without any problem.  But Emacs still knows that
these two characters stand for a single character, and "C-u C-x ="
will tell you which one.

> Here's what I think is happening:  The code that complains about
> undefined characters handles uninsertable characters (things like ^ב and
> meta-control-mouse-down) by translating them to visible representation.
> So the message contains a real caret followed by ב.  That is, the first
> character has no strong directionality, and the directionality is set by
> the second character, a non-control ב.

That'd be my guess as well, but I'd like to be sure.  One thing that
puzzles me is where does that caret come from: the function which
displays the "X is undefined" is supposed to use the C- notation for
control-modified characters, not the ^ notation.