Re: [emacs-bidi] Suboptimal display-reordering in minibuffer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Suboptimal display-reordering in minibuffer
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 06:14:43 +0300

> Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 10:50:30 +0900
> From: "Martin J. Dürst" <address@hidden>
> CC: Amit Aronovitch <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Please note that we already have a way for telling the reordering engine
> to "reorder only portions of buffer text", or alternatively, to "reorder
> portions of buffer text differently", in the Unicode Bidi algorithm.
> It's called Overrides and Embeddings. According to our experience
> implementing better display for HTML and XML in HTML, being able to add
> Overrides and Embeddings (and RLM/LRM marks) in a way that does not
> affect the actual text in a buffer (e.g. as it would be stored to a
> file) should be sufficient for getting the job done. I think we should
> first explore this path and only if it fails should we start to create
> additional infrastructure.

You are suggesting to insert bidirectional format characters into the
buffer text in order to affect the display.  That's a no-no, IMO:
Emacs should not modify buffer text for display purposes.  If we do
what you propose, we will open a can of worms, whereby bugs or crashes
will cause Emacs to produce a file that is different from input, even
if you didn't edit the file at all.