Re: [emacs-bidi] Suboptimal display-reordering in minibuffer

From: Martin J. Dürst
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Suboptimal display-reordering in minibuffer
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 10:38:34 +0900

Hello Eli, others,

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:26:56 +0900
From: "Martin J. Dürst"<address@hidden>

I think I have mentioned this before, but we have been doing some work
in the area of rendering HTML/XML source with bidi text. Please see
http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/2008/pub/IUC32-bidi/ and the links from
there. (it still has quite a few problems, mostly related to editing Web
pages and JavaScript,...)

It also looks like we might get around to work on transposing our
solutions to Emacs this year. It's too early to promise anything, but
we'll try our best. And we will certainly be glad to get help and advice
from this list.

Thanks.  You did mention this before, and I've read those pages.

Thanks.

However, it is difficult to judge their applicability to Emacs,
because virtually nothing is said regarding the implementation, except
that it "uses overlays".

Actually, we haven't done an implementation for Emacs yet, and I don't think we are saying that we did in any place. If we had done an implementation already, then we sure would have made it available for others to use.

The problem of properly (or let's say decently or reasonably) displaying
(e.g. C) source code with bidi characters is in my estimation quite a
bit simpler than the problem for HTML or XML.

So maybe we should start with a simpler problem ;-)

Both approaches may be valid: Starting with a simpler problem and generalize, and starting with a more difficult problem and just use only part of the solution.

The important thing is to establish whether we need some
infrastructure in Emacs that is currently missing, because that would
need to be coded first, before any user-visible progress can be made.

In a post from you that I was only able to read very quickly several days ago, there was some talk about bidi display being handled differently for overlays than for other parts. I have to go back to that thread and think through how it may or may not affect our plans, and I'll certainly get back to you about it.

Regards,    Martin.

#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:address@hidden