Re: [emacs-bidi] Where do I start?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Where do I start?
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:34:53 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Ehud Karni wrote:

> > We could later tweak the results with formatting codes, if we decide
> > it's imperative.
>
> You'll have to a new input method, to add formatting characters
> automatically (without explicit user intervention).

Yes, that's one of the alternatives I am considering.  We could have a
few user options to tune the trade-offs (the amount of formatting
codes vs the probability of doing The Right Thing given some specific
keyboard input).  The only disadvantage to this that I can think of is
that some applications other than Emacs might not support the
formatting codes very well.

Does anyone know what is the situation with this?  That is, if an
application supports bidi, can we reasonably expect support for
directional formatting controls as well?  RLM and LRM are the ones I'm
mostly interested in.

> It is better if can convince the UNICODE committee to amend its
> standard, but judging from the stories we heard last year, I doubt it.

Me too...