Re: [emacs-bidi] Where do I start?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Where do I start?
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:36:27 +0200

> From: Alex Schroeder <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 16:58:03 +0100
>
> What do you think about the current status?  Perhaps it would be best
> if I had new assignment instead of perfecting the existing code.

I'd prefer a bit more testing and polishing (see below), but it's up
to you.  I'm a liberal manager ;-)

> Here's the original:
>
>                     this is a normal paragraph containing some
>                     words in ARAB and HEBREW.  these strings need to be
>                     reverted.  numbers like 123 should work, even when
>                     ENCLOSED IN ARAB TEXT SUCH AS 4567.89 IS ON THIS LINE
>                     AND ON THE NEXT.
>
> Using bidi-visual-to-logical-paragraph and answering left-to-right:
>
>                     this is a normal paragraph containing some
>                     words in BARA and WERBEH.  these strings need to be
>                     reverted.  numbers like 123 should work, even when
>                     ENIL SIHT NO SI 4567.89 SA HCUS TXET BARA NI DESOLCNE
>                     TXEN EHT NO DNA.
>
> Using bidi-visual-to-logical-paragraph and answering right-to-left:
>
> this is a normal paragraph containing some
> these strings need to be  .WERBEH and BARA words in
> reverted.  numbers like 123 should work, even when
> ENIL SIHT NO SI 4567.89 SA HCUS TXET BARA NI DESOLCNE
> .TXEN EHT NO DNA

These seem to be okay, but this mostly include letters and digits.
The more tricky cases, those with terminators, separators, and
neutrals are not really tested, are they?  How about throwing in some
%, $, /, *, -, etc.?

> Note the trailing whitespace in this case.  Do you think this is right
> or wrong?

It is right, since it is present in the original (the whitespace to
the left of the text).

> I didn't implement the following rule from L1, so perhaps
> that is the problem?
>
> L1. On each line, reset the embedding level of the following characters to the
> paragraph embedding level:
>  3. any sequence of whitespace characters preceding a segment separator or
>     paragraph separator, and
>  4. any sequence of white space characters at the end of the line.

I don't think this is a problem here.

> I think this mostly works.  What I'm still playing around with is
> Ehud's idea of how to improve the visual-to-logical transformation.

What happens with the example(s) posted by Ehud?  Do they work?