Re: [emacs-bidi] Arabic in Unicode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Arabic in Unicode
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 11:12:14 +0200 (IST)

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, TAKAHASHI Naoto wrote:

> Latin-6 defines only one codepoint for each Arabic letter; glyph
> variations (word beginning, middle, end or isolated) are not
> represented.

That's what I knew, too.

So that means we cannot support Arabic presentation forms in the current
Emacs except in the mule-unicode-* character sets, is that correct?
Because IIRC, the Mule Arabic charset is based on iso8859-6, right?

> To release the modification, we need to get an official permission
> from the responsible section of our institute.  A necessary procedure
> has just begun, but nobody knows how long it will take.

Perhaps in the meantime, you could publish a textual description of what
the code does.  Then someone else could implement that without bumping
into copyright issues.