dragora-members

[Dragora-members] Relation of Qi and Qire

From: Michael Siegel
Subject: [Dragora-members] Relation of Qi and Qire
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 14:32:09 +0200

Hi everyone,

thinking about Dragora's package management again, I realized something
about the relation of Qi and Qire that should probably be changed.

At the moment, the idea is that a user would normally not have to touch
Qi and would instead always use Qire because Qire is not only a remote
extension for Qi, but it is also a complete Qi wrapper, if I understand
it correctly.

What this means is: There are two complete user interfaces to Qi, or
rather: The Qi user interface is more or less being implemented twice.

I want to suggest a simpler approach: Let Qire just be what it claims to
be – the Qi remote _extension_, i.e., a piece of code that Qi will make
use of when necessary. Then, only implement a user interface for Qi,
including “remote commands”. But whenever those remote commands are
being executed, Qi will simply hand anything it can't do by itself over
to Qire, i.e., Qi itself would still not include the code implementing
those remote commands.

What do you think?

Best
Michael