dotgnu-pnet

Re: [Pnet-developers] Porting work remaining question

From: Peter Colson
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Porting work remaining question
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:48:44 +1000

On 05/10/2004, at 4:25 PM, Gopal V wrote:

Hi,

It seems that once I head out of local object
territory into the System
area via WriteLine that's when the problems begin.

Any thoughts on the matter?

It's the CodePage junk that's choking your box.
Like I said before HelloWorld's no longer a
trivial example in the Unicode world :)

You say there's a lot of codepage stuff going on, but
what I need to know are some reasons this might fail?

I see similar CVM dump contents under OS X up to
the point of failure but it continues to produce >3,000
lines of CVM dump. Why would this be different - is pnet
under Mac OS X running (or not) as Unicode - I thought
it might be?

Are there any steps to be taken to get a Unicode-specific
system working? I note the support/mkcase, mkcategory,
mknumber programs that create values from UnicodeData.txt
(a file that I didn't find in DotGNU-0.6.8). Is there anything
that I need to do with these programs?

I'm very much at a loss as to what I can do at this point...

Symbolically debugging into/through cvm.c/cvmc.c is nigh
on impossible with the excessive use of includes/macros
in the interpreter switch.

I'm concerned that the different pointer sizes and pointer size
being different to int/long may be an issue, but don't know
how to prove this one way or the other.

I'm still not sure that the CVM code generation
is right (obviously). The cvmc_setup for the
case where INT32 is not native , has a
CVM_ADJUST(-CVM_WORDS_PER_LONG) , which I find
very strange. Any comments, Rhys ?.

Removing CVM_ADJUST(-CVM_WORDS_PER_LONG) in the
only area I saw it in cvmc_setup near a mload/l2i had no effect...

Regards,
Peter Colson.