dotgnu-pnet

Re: [Pnet-developers] Using Portable.Net on an embedded system

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Using Portable.Net on an embedded system
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 07:12:03 +1000

On Monday 04 October 2004 11:28 pm, Simon Posnjak wrote:

> ./configure --with-pnet=/usr/local/pnet/
> --prefix=/stuff1/delo/playground/portable.Net/
>
> (the /usr/local/pnet is the location of the i386 compiled pnet)
>
> and tried to build it and it failed. So any information on how to cross
> compile the pnetlib would be appreciated.

It failed because it was using the wrong version of "resgen".  It looks like
it accidentally found Mono's version instead of pnet's.  You will need to
reconfigure pnetlib and make sure that it finds the right one this time.  The
"--with-pnet" option should not be the install location, but rather the
actual source tree, including compiled binaries, of the i386 version.  i.e.
the directory where you compiled it.  If you are still having problems, then
set the RESGEN environment variable to point to the pnet version.

When compiling pnetlib, you may want to also set up for C cross-compilation,
as you did with pnet.  This should cause it to generate the correct
libXsharpSupport.so and other platform-specific files.

> All so is anybody working on a System.Drawing.Forms Toolkit for Linux
> Frame Buffer?

Not that I am aware of.  However, frame buffer access is pretty low level.
You would need to build a lot of fundamental window and drawing
infrastructure by hand.  I suggest using an embedded GUI toolkit like
Qt/Embedded, gtk, or SDL to provide the fundamentals.  There are embedded
versions of X as well, which should make the port relatively trivial.

> /var # ./ilrun --dump-config
> Engine Version                 : 0.6.9
> Engine Flavour                 : Direct Threaded
> Platform Info                  : Linux 2.4.26rthal cris
> Compiled On                    : Oct  4 2004 14:09:00 (local)
> Computed Goto                  : Yes (PIC)
> Garbage Collector              : No
> Libffi                         : No
> Threading                      : Enabled

Without libgc or libffi, pnet won't be terribly useful.  You'll need to figure
out how to port them also.  In particular, the WinForms library requires
PInvoke, which is dependent upon libffi.

Cheers,

Rhys.