Re: [DotGNU]Webservice Goals

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Webservice Goals
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:20:01 +1000

James Michael DuPont wrote:

> I feel that my perl work get stopped because of
> licensing and you go on even if there is no difference
> between the two, only that you dont *want* certain
> modules to be linked.

Cscc and the engine cannot be compared.  They are
used and extended in different ways, and so the
impact of adding scripting support has different
effects on the freedom of the code.

I have no in principle objection to adding Perl
or Python to the engine, because the user is getting
no more IL functionality than they would if they
wrote their application in C#.

But I do have an objection to doing the same to
cscc, as it gives them much greater access to the
compiler's functionality than is possible by using
the compiler as-is.  All increases in access need
to be considered carefully.  Just because it is
possible does not mean that we will do it.

Michael, will you please respect the wishes of the
GNU and DotGNU authorities on this matter and stop
wasting everyone's time with fruitless rehashing
of the same point?

Cheers,

Rhys.