Re: [DotGNU]Webservice Goals

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Webservice Goals
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 10:32:19 -0700 (PDT)

What follows is a summary of my current ideas to this
important topic that you brought up Peter.

My motto however is build interfaces and not write
duplicate code. We have man centuries of source code
available under the GPL license.
Let us build web services that respect them, interface
with exisiting code.
Let us build data gatways for providing secure and
reposable threadsafe interfaces to older code.
These web services would also be secure for usage by
authenticate clients. That will allow for the creation
of a secure and powerful set of tools.

By standardizing, automating and documenting that code
we can implement safe and standardized web and IL code
and data gateway interface to GPLed code.  This IL
interface will allow a two-way gateway between GCC
compiled code and cscc compiled code, with
typemapping, including a thread safe function
invocation system. Security features will allow for
exposing of interfaces that normally would not be
exposed and the authentication of the function calls.

The type of linkage security of the kernel can provide
that type of safty, also inside a static lib, but the
IL interface will have to verify each method invoked
from outside for the validity of the function call.

The GNU community project has put man years into a
gpled office tools, we should reuse them via IL
interfaces and well planned APIs. Staroffice publishes
thier iterface in a high level IDL. C# is also fine
for an IDL language as far as I can tell.

I agree with you in spirit, and propose to please
allow me to write modules in perl as well. By locking
us into a programming language and not into a IL
linkage and providing IL bindings for at least perl
you will be loosing access to the CPAN modules and a
HUGE knowledge and experience base.

> - DotGNU Designer
>
> * Create visual software design schemes
What about reusing bits of DIA by providing a C#
language interface and publishing that to the Ruby via
a DOTGNU scripting languge data gateway?

What about including the VCG tool for automated layout
of graphs? The ability to output to PNG and have hrefs
for nodes, and a clickable href interface.

The ability to graph out exisiting software by
providing an UML data extractor for C# and IL
intrfaces. Generation of code from the internal data
repository.

> - DotGNU Developer
>
> An IDE would be nice. DotGNU Developer could be an
> IDE with the ability
> to visually design interfaces and the stuff you
> would expect in the
> fancy commercial IDE's. Developer would also use
> Ruby as extension
> language and would of course be highly customizable.
The abilitiy to extract needed meta data from source
code to enhance the editor. Intergration of the emacs
via the DOTGNU scripting language gateway.
Inclusion of full code completion via embedding the
csccc and gcc compilers for providing parse trees via
the DOTGNU compiler metadata gateway.

What do you think?
Mike

=====