[DotGNU]Webservice Goals

From: Peter Minten
Subject: [DotGNU]Webservice Goals
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 15:30:47 +0200

Hi folks,

I thought it might be a good idea to have some clear goals in the field
of webservices, orientation points on the misty dark road of
development. Here are some ideas:

- DotGNU Office

One of these goals could be the development of an office suite by
DotGNU.  To develop such a thing as DotGNU Office (DGO) we would need a
lot of libs and stuff. This is a good reason for making it a goal, we
need those libs anyway. Also a goal of creating an office suite would
attract extra developers.

Premature as always I will give an impression of DotGNU Office as I see
it (or as I dream it :-).
DGO will have the following parts:
* A word processor
* A spreadsheet
* A presentation program
* A graphical database front-end
* A personal information manager
* An integrated development enviroment for the programming work

DGO will use Ruby as it's main scripting language. DGO will be highly
customizable like Emacs (but will not be a mere imitation of Emacs).

- DotGNU Designer

Design is important of almost all modern professions from car builder to
software builder. It would be nice if we could provide a tool to help in
this field. DotGNU Designer could be a program that can do the
following:
* Create mechanical designs in 2d and 3d (like autocad does)
* Create visual software design schemes
* Create electric designs

Designer will also use Ruby as it's main language and be highly
customizable so that it's functionality can be extended to fit any hole.

- DotGNU Developer

An IDE would be nice. DotGNU Developer could be an IDE with the ability
to visually design interfaces and the stuff you would expect in the
fancy commercial IDE's. Developer would also use Ruby as extension
language and would of course be highly customizable.

- DotGNU Games

Some amusements are always nice so it would be logical to at least think
of building some games.

Again, this is not a direct proposal for any project but more of a view
into the future. But when one or some of these idea's are within the
scope of the DotGNU project (do we develop only the webservice platform
or also important webservices?) they could well turn into projects at
due time.

Greetings,

Peter Minten