Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows

From: Doc O'Leary
Subject: Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 23:07:40 -0000 (UTC)

For your reference, records indicate that
Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:

> Speaking of a vision.  What I personally would like to see is a complete OS
> distro built from the bottom up with GNUstep in mind.

Wrong kind of vision.  I’ve always been talking about a vision for how
*actual* people would find GNUstep useful.  Last time this topic came
up, it involved iOS, because that was the biggest community that was hot
on ObjC/Cocoa.  Now that Apple is pushing Swift, the stated vision either
has to involve that, or be very specific about *not* involving that.

> I would like us to consider creating something new and great and not
> tethered to technologies which hold us back.

Consider instead what people actually want and/or need.  On the Linux
desktop, they still want good apps.  And there are a lot of them, for
now in ObjC, that are written for the Mac.  Some are even open source,
but others it might require the company to get involved in considering
making their code work with GNUstep.  Outreach has always been more
important than chest-beating code commits.

If I were to suggest a vision, it would be a hit list of notable Mac apps
that GNUstep *actively* supports.  The first one on the list is naturally
TextEdit.  Phoenix Slides is something I’ve used that I think is nice.
There are countless others, I’m sure, but those are the two that come to
mind for which I’ve previously poked at the source.

Stop trying to beta new things that nobody else is going to bother to use.
Steer GNUstep towards supporting existing ObjC developers that think they
can benefit from running their software in a non-Apple ecosystem.  Purge
the project of the “what can you do for me?” attitude and welcome people
with an inviting “what can I do for you?”

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly