Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:53:01 -0500

Riccardo,

On Wednesday, February 17, 2016, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:
Hi,

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
It would be nice to target the Rasbpberry Pi using Wayland
me too. except for Wayland. I want to have run on raspbian smoothly instead of the provided WM they have.

Why not wayland?  Network transparency is not something which is super important these days even on the rpi.   Wayland brings us a number of advantages:

* native compositing
* it expects frameworks to draw their own Windows something we do extremely well.
* it supports true window transparency
* it allows animations and such to be done much more l easily if and when needed
* etc

I think we really need to question whether X truly serves our needs.  No one is saying leave it behind.  What we are saying is to take advantage of the things wayland does for us.

There are also similar devices which could fit well: there are talks about laptops around PPC.

We aren't "that distant" by the way. That is, it is not "lacking" much more than a standard linux, except for additional issues with speed and memory and slowness in startup. ARM works quite well even with the supplied GCC. No paritcular graphic issues either.

These need to be looked at.  Slowness has been a problem.  I can remember using GNUstep on a 128mb Linux machine 10-12 years ago.   I would like to get some benchmarks which are unbiased about our performance rather than hearsay and conjecture.  I would also like us to focus on hardware on which GNUstep will be realistically deployed rather than taking the netbsd approach and worrying about making it work everywhere.

Of course, since we are quite far away to have a usable desktop on x86.... we are just a little better off on smaller plaform because other desktops (e.g. Gnome) are soo big and heavy that become unusable on those smaller things.

Riccardo

GC.

--
Gregory Casamento