Re: Associating bundle directories with app

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Associating bundle directories with app
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:14:01 +0000

On 20 Jan 2011, at 13:42, Niels Grewe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:08:55AM +0100, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
>> With the make_services available right_now, it has to be run as the user,
>> since the cache used is stored in the users GNUstep directory in the
>> .GNUstepServices file.
>>
>> Maybe it would make sense to have a global services cache, in some shared
>> accessible directory. So for me as a packager, I could run make_services as
>> post (un)install script, when installing a package. So it would update the
>> services database everytime a gnustep application is (un)installed.
>
> I think it would be a good idea to have a kind of system wide (or per
> installation domain?) mechanism for storing settings.

We already do (for user defaults).

> This probably
> should not only include the .GNUstepServices and .GNUStepAppList files
> but also the user-defaults database.

We have system-wide user defaults settings.
We don't have system-wide app/service caches because (as mentioned earlier in
this thread), there's no point, apart from some potential performance gain.

> If I'm not mistaken, people are
> routinely having trouble to set the right NSFont for their backend
> because the packager cannot do it for them.

This is a user default setting ... so the packager can set that for them.

> Also, it is worth noting that there is a freedesktop.org spec
> [0] for associating mime-types with applications. Maybe we should
> consider supporting that as well [1] for people who occasionally use GNUstep
> applications on their whatever-is-considered-fancy-this-week desktop.

That sound like a reasonable addition.