Re: Associating bundle directories with app

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Associating bundle directories with app
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:05:05 +0000

On 20 Jan 2011, at 13:42, Niels Grewe wrote:

> Also, it is worth noting that there is a freedesktop.org spec
> [0] for associating mime-types with applications. Maybe we should
> consider supporting that as well [1] for people who occasionally use GNUstep
> applications on their whatever-is-considered-fancy-this-week desktop.

I think this would be a nice thing to support, but it's not clear to me from
scanning the spec that it's possible to correctly handle bundles.  It looks
like you can define things for directories, or you can define things for files
with a specific extension, but not for directories with a specific extension
(although, like most fd.o 'standards' it's missing most of the explanation of
how it works.

I'm also not really sure how it will interoperate with UTIs.  Maybe someone
should poke fd.o to adopt UTIs, rather than MIME types, as the core
representation, since they're more expressive...

David

-- Sent from my IBM 1620