Re: Global Defaults (Re: Associating bundle directories with app)

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Global Defaults (Re: Associating bundle directories with app)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 16:14:33 +0000

On 21 Jan 2011, at 16:05, Stefan Bidi wrote:

> I have a question on this, just out of curiosity...  What happens if two
> different plist files in the GlobalDefault subdir assign a value to the same
> default?  Which one is going to be taken?
>
> The example David gave is nice in theory, but what happens if two or more
> different theme bundles want to be the default?

I wondered this too - presumably the last one to be read is taken.  It doesn't
matter in the case of themes - the first time you install a theme, one is set,
later on it may change the default, or it may not, but if you have multiple
themes installed then it's probably because you want users to be able to switch
between them.

It's more of a problem, as I said, with user appkit bundles.  For example,
there's no mechanism for automatically installing the EtoileMenus and
EtoileBehaviour appkit bundles and having them both added to defaults, although
a metapackage could depend on both and provide a default that activated both.

I'm not sure what other defaults things might want to set.  It's not a problem
for apps - they can include their own default settings in the bundle.  It's
only really relevant for bundles.  The various -back bundles would probably
want to set themselves as the default back end on installation but, again, it
doesn't really matter much if you need to explicitly configure which one to use
with multiple back ends installed - each can install a .plist for itself, and
if the administrator installs two then he can add a line to
GlobalDefaults.plist to specify the default one to use.

David

-- Sent from my Cray X1