Re: Changes I've been thinking of...

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Changes I've been thinking of...
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 11:34:27 -0400

See below...

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de> wrote:

> Am 09.10.2009 um 11:27 schrieb Sergii Stoian:
>
>> "World (all stuff outside of GNUstep) acceptance of GNUstep as alternative
>> developer framework that will help creating of alternative desktop
>> environment."
>
> Now I can't resist to comment either ;-)
>
> "Platforms" aren't just a set of kernel and appropriate drivers these days,
> they are full functioning desktops already. So, while an alternative to Xfce
> / KDE / Gnome might be desireable for some people, the very most open source
> OS users won't bother on GNUstep applications if they don't fit into their
> preferred desktop environment.
>
> As a Ubuntu user I can seamlessly install (packaged) KDE apps and use them
> next to Gnome apps. The same should be true for GNUstep apps.

Absolutely agreed.

> Accordingly, work on e.g. a GNUstep terminal app is pointless, as there are
> two dozen other terminal apps out there already. Strongly preferring
> WindowMaker is plain counter productive.

I believe we need to start integrating better with other
desktops/window managers.

> Insisting on a own clipboard system
> will do nothing but confuse users.

The unfortunate truth here is that there are still some features of
the other guys pasteboard servers which don't server our needs at all.

> Those dock-like miniwindows are simply
> annoying (for Gnome users).

You can turn them off.

> Command line stuff is - well many users don't
> know what a command line is, after all.

??  I'm not sure what you mean here.

> Integration with the neighbor's desktop is the state of the art. Even the
> biggies like KDE or Gnome can't afford to ignore the others.

Indeed.

> Markus
>

> P.S.: Currently I'm using Cocotron. Much less matured, but integrates much
> better. Braindead simple porting from Cocoa, standalone applications !

I'm sorry to hear this.   GNUstep, in my opinion, does need something
similar to Cocotron's SDK.   Dr. Schaller has already made something
similar for ARM so that he can cross compile for the ARM platform so
it's not terribly difficult... it's just not something we've done for
Windows yet.

> P.P.S.: Sorry for ranting so much. I just wanted to add another perspective.

That's fine.