Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable development option?

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable development option?
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:34:02 -0800 (PST)

Wolfgang,

> GNUstep has a wonderful API, but the gui part is seriously lacking in
> stability and features. Also the mention of theming and of a more modern  >
> look has been around for years and nothing changed. Therefore, if your projet
> needs a GUI, you are probably better with wxWidgets, which is
> cross-platform (using the native GUI) and has bindings for many languages.

The problem is that no one has really had the time to devote to revamping the
theme.   This is a huge undertaking.  I, personally, am hoping to have some
time to devote to this soon.

There are plenty of features the fact that Gorm works seamlessly and uses most
of the features of GUI is a testament to GUI's current stability.  If GUI were
as "seriously lacking" as you seem to suggest, I would expect  to see it crash
at least once in a while.

Also, we have almost all of the classes available under Cocoa which are
practical to implement on Linux.   We're missing the scripting classes and some
of the controller classes are not complete, but everything else used by most
applications is there.  And what's not there for certain apps should be added
as we implement more apps using GUI.

By suggesting that he not use GNUstep GUI, you're suggesting that he "throw the
baby out with the bathwater" and, at the same time, not encouraging
contribution back to the community.

Later, GJC
--
Gregory Casamento -- OLC, Inc