Re: Look and Feel

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:49:10 +0100

Hey,

On Thursday, February 17, 2005, at 08:18 PM, Banlu Kemiyatorn wrote:

Not to mention Jesse's design really doesn't look fancy enough not to
run on older computers. Heck, there are people who've hacked MacOS X
to run on an old 8100/80 PowerMac. If that one can run Aqua, any
Pentium should be able to run Jesse's theme at blazing speed...

well... gnustep.... gnu.... I sometimes need to bitch against them.

I can run os-x comfortably on my old 9600. NeXT run on 68030 and 68040 computers.

Running GNUstep on a 8200 computer (120Mhz PPC, 256L2 cache, MkLinux) makes it slow. So? :) gnu stuff is slow. wherever "gnu" is, in the os, the compiler, the *step implementation.

I have used NeXT on a Sparc voyager. that is a 75Mhz MicroSparc II, 24Mb of ram and 500Mb 2.5" disk. Wow. Fassssst! amazingly fast. Ok, the graphics is a 256 color (yes!) TurboGX, which is very fast in 2d (it embeds a 68020 cpu). But still, GNUstep on a workstation equivalent (that is much faster and with a 110Mhz cpu) runs slow. On a dual HyperSparc with independent caches, it is still slower. And it looks bad. No "invisible 256color dithering" slow menus, slow image scrolling.

Ok, on a Centrino with tons of ram and a radeon it is fast and enjoyable. But I think you get my point.

_R