Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 00:41:58 +0700

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 00:57:19 -0600, Jesse Ross

> Also, I'd be interested in helping the project out graphically -- I
> know that Jasper is already working on the icons, but I did a few comps
> of the required icons to show you the quality and style of my work
> (Keep in mind, these were done over two days, so the smaller icons
> aren't fully cleaned up yet).
> http://www.jesseross.com/clients/icons/
>
> Thanks for your help -- please let me know if there is anything I can
> do to help out in return.
>
> Jesse Ross

Hi, I'd like to join my humble criticising. This set of icons is very good.
It has interesting outline stroke. It is not hard for the rest of others
who can't hire a graphic artist to play catching up with especially at
the time we don't have much resource to invest. Some are too much
cartooned and I don't like them. The plugin's dimension looks wrong,
the nearest pin shouldn't be smaller than others but you probably can
fix that easily. One idea is using blender or some CAD application to
design the wire frame and redo them in gimp. The folder is nice
though it lose some informations when you scaled them down like
those folders, though the idea is pretty cool. I think it would be nice
if more than 3-4 artists and UI designer can spend time discussing the
icon guideline  before we start hiring some people. I didn't pay for the
money, but my  point is, I think playing catch up with Jasper's quality
is not easy, not that something I cannot do for myself with enough time
and mood, but for the rest of people. And it may result in lack of
inconsistency for the look at the beginning of GNUstep in the market.
So, I'd like more people to reject (my) following points in

http://www.quentinmathe.com/gnustep/documentation/UI/icons/
(is this the recent one?)

before support any group to make a default set of icons for GNUstep.

1) 30 degree isometric icon leaves too much space at the corner
in my opinion. the icon should utilize the space as much as possible
while letting it breath. My suggestion was going < 30 degree oblique
rather isometric.

Take a look at the _Frame icon at

http://maliwan.sourceforge.net/Icons/

It was argue that the space shouldn't be a problem since the hitTest
should be a square but see 2)

2) On User interaction chapter of

http://www.quentinmathe.com/gnustep/documentation/UI/icons/c187.html

I argued that quare hitTest is a bad idea since I don't think clicking in
invisible UI is a good thing. I remember we were discussing this
in IRC and Quentin said he'll consider about it. I guess I'd like to see
the spec to make a clear decision on this.

3) I'd like to see the spec to state it clear about the outline.

Some of my icons as in the link posted above doesn't have outline.
Once I was too aquaish. Some did, which I prefered them.
Outline is good. It makes it easier to recognize the icons.

I think it would be nice if Jesse is free enough to become a main artist
and can do free stuffs for people's applications including default set
of GNUstep icon. Jesse, I don't know if you have enough time to
do that. But it would be great if you can offer that kind of help.
And we can run a competition to elect the icon style manager,
who can draw the icons her/himself or guide other artists so we can
keep the way of style in a long run. (I don't think I can do a large
number of icons, or join the suggested competition if that actually
happened, at least in the next 2 years since I'll be too busy
making applications, which is not more important than a default
set of icons, just nobody will do that for me if I don't do it)

hope there aren't too many points.

/me wonder if he should press the [Send] button.
ooops