Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help

From: jesse
Subject: Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:26:21 -0600 (CST)

> On 2005-02-08 06:57:19 +0000 Jesse Ross <jesse@jesseross.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
>> Also, I'd be interested in helping the project out graphically -- I
>> know that
>> Jasper is already working on the icons, but I did a few comps of the
>> required
>> icons to show you the quality and style of my work (Keep in mind,
>> these were
>> done over two days, so the smaller icons aren't fully cleaned up yet).
>> http://www.jesseross.com/clients/icons/
>
> They are very nice ! I especially like the folders icons -- in general
> they are the
> most difficult icons to do...
>
> I tend to prefer a more "photorealistic / iconic" style than a
> cartoonish style, but
> they are very cool nonetheless :-) -- great work !
>
> GWorkspace should use the IconKit -- thus it will be easy to have icon
> themes...
>
> --
> Nicolas Roard

Thanks!

I did start developing these as photorealistic icons, but one of the
problems I find working in a Mac environment about 12-14 hours a day is
that it gets VERY difficult to locate the appropriate icon when your dock
contains a lot of apps. 128x128 photorealisic icons are very nice when you
have the space and very few icons, or in a preview panel, but for normal
everyday usage they tend to "blur". I designed these icons to have
distinctive shapes and strong edges, because these factors are the most
important for quick visual recongnition.

J.