RE: New to GNUStep

From: Vaisburd, Haim
Subject: RE: New to GNUStep
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:37:43 -0800

Hi, Michael, welcome!

> I also plan to install GNUStep. I am using debian unstable and since GNUStep
> is in Debian unstable, it should not be too hard to install it.

I've always compiled it myself.
The link http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/GNUstep-HOWTO
gives you instructions, there is a similar document inside the distribution.

> One thing I would be particullarly interested in is to see
> a webbrowser for GNUStep.

Hm, why do we need a thing? What's wrong with Firefox? Its licence refers
to open source... :)
I think we should not duplicate existing Unix functionality with a different
toolkit, unless, of course, someone has something superior in mind.
I can imagine having a web browser into a gnustep widget, but I think it would
be better
to write some sort of gnustep wrapper around existing high quality engine(s).

What do you all think?

> Are there any other interesting things a newbie
> to GNUStep could to and which?

Think about something you do often, but it's annoying or too much work
and write a good tool that does that :-)

Tima.