Re: New to GNUStep

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: New to GNUStep
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:40:18 +0100

Hey,

On Wednesday, December 22, 2004, at 02:17 PM, Chris Vetter wrote:

One thing I would be particullarly interested in is to see a webbrowser
for GNUStep.

I wouldn't call a web browser "easy-to-do"... ;-)

I agree with master CBV here.

I think you have roughly 4 options
- use webkit stuff (ugly C++, KHTML, etc). Advantage: proven, up-to-date, standards compliant - write one from scatch in obj-c (hmmm don't ask me for help with the parser) - "port" an existing core to GNUstep. I could see 2 good candidates: Dillo and mMosaic. Both are fast, but support only plain HTML, no CSS. So it would make sense even on side a more evoluted but more demanding webkit browser. - convince omni people to give their old omniweb core (up to 4.1) away together with the kits needed under a good license. That would be a good thing and I would like to help to port it. I loved that browser...

-R