Re: Text label mis-sizing / clipping

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: Text label mis-sizing / clipping
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:05:00 -0400

Kazunobu Kuriyama wrote:

[snip]

> If GNUstep provided a sort of official font collection, and
> imposed it on all users, GNUstep developers could enjoy the
> same privilege that Cocoa developers has, and the issue we
> are now talking about would never be manifested at all.
>
>  From various reasons, however, I don't think such a collection
> gives us a satisfying solution.
>
> IMO, like other GUI toolkits and frameworks for X, a label
> widget class which can change its boundary size automatically
> in accordance with the extent of the text to be displayed
> gives a better solution.  In contrast to Cocoa, GNUstep
> inevitably faces the diversity of users' various font
> environments.  The mis-sizing/clipping issue won't be
> eliminated until GNUstep inherently deal with the diversity
> its own way.

That way is to throw out everything but Renaissance -- indeed, the whole
OpenStep layout system, and create something else that's incompatible with
both OpenStep and the Mac. I'm OK seeing the latter, but not the former
without a very good reason.

Finding and/or creating a system font set, and requiring its/their presence,
is the least-bad choice that I have seen. Between that and doing a form of
substitution, perhaps for code point ranges, it can be done workably.

This problem never raised its head until the "art" graphics target was
created. That reason is that every X server comes with "Helvetica", "Times",
and "Courier" fonts -- which were the same fonts that NeXT had as standard.
But there are no such fonts in scalable forms available freely, so there
needed to be a replacement.