Re: Text label mis-sizing / clipping

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Text label mis-sizing / clipping
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:13:37 +0200

Benhur Stein wrote:
One simple thing that could diminish the impact of a too small space
to show all glyphs would be to not only show complete glyphs but also
glyphs that are cut by the rectangle in NSString's -drawInRect:, and
let them be clipped by the clipping rectangle. Most places where
strings are cut because of one or two pixels, the cutting would not be
perceptible, or at least would be better than what we currently have.

I think it'd be perceptible, but it would be a lot better than dropping complete characters. However, it isn't at all easy to convince the text system to do this instead of the normal word wrapping (which is what it's attempting now; after all, the label could be multi-line). I'll keep it in mind; maybe some sensible way of doing this will turn up.

(There are neat things one can do with a custom typesetter, but that seems excessive to me, and it isn't entirely easy to know _when_ to do the neat things.)

- Alexander Malmberg