Re: GNUStep problems on Mandrake 8

From: Stephen Brandon
Subject: Re: GNUStep problems on Mandrake 8
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:46:24 +0100

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001 17:46:20 +0530
 V.Krishna Kumar <birbal77@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> 2)
> Is gnustep base buildable as a DLL on Win32 ? I've
> convinced a few friends of
> mine to do a native Win32 port of the GUI.

Yes! I believe that libFoundation (the alternative
gnustep-base framework) does, but more importantly to me,
gnustep-make, gnustep-base and gnustep-gui (but NOT a native
gui backend) compile pretty happily using the CygWin and
MinGW environments. A load of patches have just been made to
the CVS, so that will help considerably.

I also have a script called compile-mingw (similar to the
compile-all that is already part of gnustep) which does all
the hard work for you, with regards to the setting of
correct environment and build variables, and prompts you
about how to install auxilliary libraries such as ffcall and
libobjc. It's not added to CVS so if you want it please
e-mail me.

If you can write a native GUI back end for Windows... great!
You'll make some of us very happy indeed.

Cheers,
Stephen Brandon
stephen@brandonitconsulting.co.uk