Re: GNUStep problems on Mandrake 8

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUStep problems on Mandrake 8
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 08:57:25 +0100

On Wednesday, October 17, 2001, at 01:16 PM, V.Krishna Kumar wrote:

3)
A lecturer in my college is willing to do some docu  work.  I think
converting the docs to DocBook will be a good idea . Any suggestions ?

The GNU documentation standard is texinfo, so generally documentation
should be in that format (from which you can produce, info, dvi, postscript
and html of course).

However ... texinfo source is pretty clunky to write manually, and (importantly) can't cope with documenting ObjC code since you can't have menus/references which
contain colons, and most ObjC method names contain colons ...

For those reasons we have gsdoc ... an XML language designed for documenting ObjC software. It's much better than vanilla DocBook (though you could extent DocBook) for ObjC since it has elements intended specifically for ObjC class documentation.

Being an XML language, it has all the advantages of DocBook, (standard syntax/grammer
and the ability to transform it using xsl etc).

So, I guess I'm saying that I think converting documentation to DocBook would be a waste of time. IMO a good use of time would be writing more documentation with good examples and explanations, rather than changing the format of what we have.