Re: GNUStep problems on Mandrake 8

From: V . Krishna Kumar
Subject: Re: GNUStep problems on Mandrake 8
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 20:37:20 +0530

> For those reasons we have gsdoc ... an XML language designed for
> documenting ObjC
> software.  It's much better than vanilla DocBook (though you could
> extent DocBook)
> for ObjC since it has elements intended specifically for ObjC class
> documentation.
>
> Being an XML language, it has all the advantages of DocBook, (standard
> syntax/grammer
> and the ability to transform it using xsl etc).
>
> So, I guess I'm saying that I think converting documentation to DocBook
> would be a
> waste of time.

I completely overlooked the gsdoc files. Having looked at the file extension,
I simply assumed that the gsdoc files were actually texinfo files extended to
support ObjC docu.

That was really stupid of me :-(

The reason why I suggested DocBook is  that using DSSSL and OpenJade
one can easily produce docs in RTF  (and hence WinHelp), PDF etc.
These  formats apart from being easy to use  also offer excellent print
quality.

There was a RFP for a HTML/XML based help system on the mailing list. How
about using PDF for help files ? Acrobat reader is available for almost all
the major platforms and it makes  screen reading  comfortable as well.
If  resources are a constraint, then the Xpdf program can be used as a
standalone help system.  Any thoughts ?

-Krish

XPDF