Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: ]d
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 22:22:24 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

> Well, you did not get my point, then...;-) I do certainly not want to
reinvent the wheel! What I would like to see is a window manager which
offers tight integration with GNUstep. This window manager should:

> - be fast
> - have a small mem print

If you don't use a theme, I don't know if WMaker is slow or
using much more memory than others. Rewrite a new one in Obj-C
may result a window manager to be slower and use more mem
print than WMaker with plain theme support (?)

> - be responsible only for drawing and handling windows

You can disable dock, clip & menu if you don't want them.

> - offer virtual desktops

I just put a kind of virtual desktop support in WMaker.

> - *not* include extensions like a dock, config tools and so forth!

As I said. Dock, clip and appicon can be disabled.
Config tool (WPrefs.app) is a seperate application. It is not
a window manager. It just allow you to edit the configuration files
with it. Repleace it with a GNUstep configure tool is very possible.
(for example, someone really made a nice configure tool for WMaker in GTK)

> > As for me, what I really still miss in WindowMaker is the integration of
> > gnustep app icons etc.  For example, it's a pity I can't yet dock gnustep
> > apps.  I know this sounds a little childish - but I really use the
> > Finger.app to ping/traceroute remote hosts <that's why I wrote it> - and
> > it's a pity I can't dock it into the WM dock.
>
> See...;-)

I don't know if that is WMaker's problem for not being able to dock
GNUstep's appicon into it. You won't get it docked on other wms too.
Instead, since you said docking shouldn't be a part of window manager,
making a new window manager that just has no dock isn't different from
disable dock & clip from WMaker. If you didn't really want window manager
to manage appicons (docking) You then need a seperate application to
manage the GNUstep's appicon and let everybody rewrite their WMaker
dockapp in GNUstep instead.

]d