Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Questions about E100

From: Almohanad Fayez
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Questions about E100
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 01:10:03 -0400 (EDT)

For now I'd say there are two main approaches that can be taken for DSP development on the omap/davinci ... at least to the best of my knowledge.  There is the DSPLink approach and the Codec Engine approach.  DSPLink provides the barebones mechanisms to enable inter-processor communication, setup, and data exchange.  I've steered away from Codec Engine because it seems more complicated and because from what I gather it's targeted more for situations where you might purchase a codec and only have access to the binary and you would need a mechanism to select and run between multiple codecs that might be available and for that Codec Engine would provide a framework to handle this situation.
If you're taking the DSPLink approach then the following are the set of tools you would need:
1- TI Code Generation Tools (CGT) C6000
    the DSP Compiler
2- TI DSPLink
   to handle inter processor communication
3- TI Codec Engine
    even if you're not using it you have install it because of dependency
4- TI DSP/BIOS
    DSP RTOS
5- TI Local Power Manager (LPM)
    The OMAP processor has a bug where you have to reset the DSP if you plan on loading different executables and the LPM modules provides an executable to do just that

You would need to setup the Makefiles for DSPLink before using it to point it to your kernel directory, compile tools, ... etc

al