Re: Emailing: 2GavotteinG.zip

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Emailing: 2GavotteinG.zip
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 18:07:09 +0100

On Fri, 2021-08-06 at 17:36 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> Also, I'm puzzled why the rests
> in the first bar of Mandolin 2 are displaced vertically - it is as if
> there were a hidden part on the same staff. You can control the
> heights
> of rests but you haven't done that, so why are they up in the air? If
> you know I won't investigate...
It pricked my curiosity: you have the Mandolin 2 given an Initial Voice
Directive, so that its stems are always up to avoid an imaginary second
voice on the staff. You can delete that in the Staff properties editor,
or use the

Command: Initial Automatic Voice
Undoes the effect of the VoiceOne, Two ... commands. The voice has
variable stem direction, slur placement etc.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Staffs/Voices ▶ Voices
Internal Name: InitialVoiceAuto

command.

I see that you also have a "stems up" directive in the second bar of
the guitar part. This will be a mistake of some sort - you should be
inserting Voice change directives as that changes not only the stem
direction but the other things that LilyPond knows about for correctly
placing multiple voices on one staff. See Object Menu ▶ Staffs/Voices ▶
Voices menu.