ddd

Re: Source not loaded if special characters are present

From: Andrew Gaylard
Subject: Re: Source not loaded if special characters are present
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 15:15:22 +0200

Heiko Gerdau wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm using ddd-3.3.11 on Suse Linux 9.3 and see a problem loading the source
>code if it contains german 'Umlaut' characters.
>
>In the mailing list archives I found a workaround posted by Andrew Gayland:
>
>lists.gnu.org/archive/html/ddd/2005-04/msg00132.html
>
>which is starting the debug session like:
>  LANG= ddd application
>
>That works but results in different behaviour in LANG aware code.
>
>Has anybody a fix for this that I could apply to the code?
>
>Best wishes
>Heiko

Heiko,

This is a long-standing problem, which drives me nuts.
I'd love to see a fix for it.  The only other work-around
I've found is to link against lesstif, which handles the
characters perfectly and doesn't require any messing
with $LANG (which, as you say, will affect the underlying
program a great deal).

The problem lies somewhere in Motif, or in the way DDD
calls Motif.

I've not found any info on the web explaining how to do
I18N properly with Motif.  I have the the two most important
references, the Motif books from O'Reilly, and they don't
mention it.

Andrew.